The mission of Storey Publishing is to serve our customers by publishing practical information that encourages personal independence in harmony with the environment. We seek to do this in a positive atmosphere that promotes editorial quality, team spirit, and profitability.
The books we select to carry out our mission include nonfiction titles for adults and children in the areas of gardening, herbs, cooking, beer & wine, nature, farming, animals, building, homesteading, natural health, home reference, crafts, and mind/body/spirit. We do not publish fiction, poetry, or picture books.
We are always pleased to review proposals submitted directly from authors and from agents. We offer standard royalty contracts. If you have an idea for a book on any of the subjects we publish and are intrigued by the philosophy expressed in our mission statement, we welcome your proposal submission.
A complete book proposal must include the following components:
- A letter of introduction summarizing succinctly the topic of your proposed book, your reason and credentials for writing the book, and why you think the book would be appropriate for Storey.
- A one-paragraph description of your book idea focused on what makes it unique, intriguing, and necessary.
- A proposed table of contents, including a brief description of what will be covered in each chapter and proposed projects or recipe lists (if appropriate).
- For craft books: please send photos of a selection of finished projects.
- For children’s activity books: please send a complete sample chapter.
- Your thoughts about the length, format, photographic and illustrative requirements, suggested packaging, and general appearance of the book.
- A detailed summary of your experience and credentials for writing the book you are proposing.
- Samples of your writing from previous books, magazines, or online publications.
- A proposed publicity plan detailing your ability to promote and sell your book, including: stats for your online platform and following (Facebook, Instagram, website readership, etc.); connections with key media partners, publications, and organizations that would help promote your book; teaching and speaking venues where you are known; noted individuals you are connected with who would potentially endorse and help promote your book; availability and commitment to travel and promote.
- A brief statement describing the potential readers of the book and the channels where you think your book would sell. Who will buy this book and why?
- A list of comparative books with similarities to your proposed book (in content or approach) that have been published within the last three years (include title, author, page count, retail price, and publisher). Please add your own critique of each book and how your proposed book differs or complements each one. Note: The existence of similar books is not necessarily a negative; it may indicate a strong market for your topic or approach.
Address your proposal to one of the acquiring editors (see list below) and send to:
Storey Publishing LLC
210 MASS MoCA Way
North Adams, Massachusetts 01247
(Enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope if you would like your materials returned.)
or email your proposal to:
Deborah Balmuth, Publisher: home reference; crafts
Liz Bevilacqua: well-being; holistic health; mind-body-spirit; creativity
Deb Burns: farming; animals; equine; nature
Deanna Cook: kids’ activities; cooking
Carleen Madigan: gardening; herbs; homesteading; self-sufficiency; traditional skills