Storey is a leading publisher of how-to books for creative self-reliance, with a focus on gardening, cooking, crafts, building, and animals. We are located in the scenic Berkshires, on the campus of the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MASS MoCA), three hours from NYC and Boston.
Executive Director of Marketing
Date: December 2019
Storey Publishing, a dynamic nonfiction publisher located in the Berkshires of western Massachusetts, is seeking an experienced marketing professional who is a big-picture thinker and thrives on developing creative marketing strategies and integrated book campaigns using innovative publicity strategies, social media outreach, advertising, website content, and promotional partnerships. This is a full-time, in-house position managing staff and working closely on a daily basis with in-house senior managers.
- Manage the marketing and publicity campaign staff and marketing art director; work collaboratively with staff across the company to plan and execute marketing and publicity campaigns that will maximize exposure for each title and author.
- Develop cross-promotions, partnerships, sponsorships, and other creative marketing initiatives for promoting Storey, its key brands, and individual titles to both the trade and consumers.
- Develop close working relationships with producers of national and regional TV, print, radio, and online media, as well as key specialty media outlets, and regularly pitch and secure media coverage.
- Work closely with publisher and associate publisher to define the positioning and strongest market opportunities for every title and author. Identify marketplace trends and ways to leverage backlist titles based on those trends.
- Develop annual marketing and publicity goals, priorities, and strategies, as well as budget.
- Strategize and assess effectiveness of digital marketing and ad campaigns.
- Develop forward-thinking strategies for the Storey website, analyze effectiveness, and oversee ongoing efforts to make it the most effective tool for marketing and publicity.
- Oversee development of seasonal catalog and all marketing publications.
- Strategize metadata updates on frontlist and backlist titles.
- Spearhead innovative strategies for growing Storey’s social media presence and platforms.
- Establish and nurture strong relationships with key customers, distributors, and promotional partners. Represent Storey at leading market events locally and nationwide.
- Minimum 7 years prior experience in book marketing or equivalent experience
- Prior supervisory experience in a collaborative environment
- Experience conceiving and implementing creative and strategic marketing campaigns, building marketing partnerships, using social media, developing metadata, and assessing analytics
- Established network of national media contacts including TV, radio, print, and online
- Established relationships with bookstores and some large lecture venues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and public presentation experience
- Must be a creative and strategic thinker, as well as assertive and persuasive
- Track record of strong networking with media, authors, and other key marketing contacts
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly for in-person meetings, conferences, and trade shows
- Must have close visual acuity and cannot be color blind
- Must be able to sit or stand in one location for extended periods of time
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
When you apply for a position, we want to know why you want to work here, and why you are interested in the job. That’s why cover letters are strongly preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.