Storey is a leading publisher of how-to books for creative self-reliance, with a focus on gardening, cooking, crafts, building, and animals. We are located in the scenic Berkshires, on the campus of the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MASS MoCA), three hours from NYC and Boston.
Supervisor: Marketing Art Director
FSLA Status: Exempt
Job Class: Full-Time
Work Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, includes a mandatory thirty-minute meal break
Location: North Adams, MA – All staff is currently working remotely for the remainder of 2020. We will consider full-time remote/hybrid working options if necessary.
The Marketing Designer will work closely with the Marketing Art Director to develop Storey’s marketing materials in both digital and print. Annual projects encompass book-specific digital marketing campaigns, including social media, two seasonal catalogs, and a wide range of other promotional materials for both publicity and sales. This position requires an enthusiastic attitude and ability to both design independently and work collaboratively with all departments at Storey. Strong organizational skills, along with stellar design talent, and an unflappable nature are the desired combination for this position. An interest in our published categories is a plus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Develop concepts for, design, and produce the following:
- Digital assets: social media campaigns, advertisements including animated gif’s and other dynamic web projects, newsletter art, formatted email blasts, web buttons and a variety of other online promotions
- Printed pieces: specialty catalogs, backlist and order forms for our seasonal catalog, BLADs, posters, postcards, sellsheets, and advertisements
- Point-of-purchase displays: both floor and table-top
- Specialty promotional materials: such as tote bags, tags, and stickers
Work collaboratively with other departments:
- With Publicity to design posters, postcards, and advertisements supporting authors, events and new titles
- With Sales to design sellsheets, promotional mailers, posters and advertisements for different market needs
- With Editorial for content
- With Design for pages/photography/illustrations/online content
Production & Administrative responsibilities include:
- Work directly with printers: obtaining quotes, prepress setup, monitor printing and delivery of
- Prepare purchase orders
- Source vendors
- Create dummy books and other 3-D packaging (requires hands-on assembly skills, attention to detail, and use of precise cutting tools and spray-mount)
- Process existing covers, book pages, art, author photos and other graphics for digital outreach, sales presentations, publicity requests, and social media posts
- College degree. Graphic design major preferred.
- 3–5 years of experience within the marketing field of design (Working knowledge in marketing through social media channels a plus)
- Knowledge of the design process for both print and web
- Experience in a Macintosh environment and fluency in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop as well as a working knowledge of Illustrator and Microsoft Office
- An interest in Storey’s DIY publishing focus
- Candidate should possess strong organizational, communication, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills. S/he must be able to prioritize while managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to collaborate closely and brainstorm fresh ideas
- Knowledge of video and photo production preferred but not essential
- Must have close visual acuity to perform activities such as viewing and creating designs using a computer terminal; viewing art work; visually inspecting fine design elements; cannot be color blind.
- Must be able to move from one point to another
- Must be able to stand, bend, lift and stoop
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 pounds
- Must be able to sit or stand in one location for extended periods of time
- Must have keen hand-eye coordination, able to use an Xacto blade and other precise design tools
Email a resume and cover letter explaining why you would be a good fit for this position and for Storey to email@example.com. We apologize in advance but not all applicants will receive a response.
Storey Publishing is an equal opportunity employer. All are welcome, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic that makes you unique. Our focus is to create a diverse and supportive environment. We encourage BIPOC, LGBTQ and other self-identifying members of groups underrepresented in publishing to apply.