Made with eleuthero, protein-rich nut butter, and seasoned with cinnamon, this raw food aphrodisiac delivers a vitality-boosting bite to any amorous session.
From our most ancient beginnings to modern times, humans have spent a great deal of effort searching for the perfect aphrodisiac. The arena of love offers a supremely fertile realm for the ambrosial power of herbs, fragrances, and succulent foods. Though they may never be officially approved by the Food and Drug Administration, they have time-honored, proven-in-the-real-world abilities to arouse, enhance, and energize romance and passion.
Aphrodisiacs, as a category, can be different things for different people. They can stir the senses on many levels, not merely the physical, but also through scent, touch, taste . . . In short, anything that inspires or deepens the feelings of sexuality, sensuality, intimacy, joy, and contentment between you and your partner can be considered an aphrodisiac.
These toothsome snacks are full of vigor-building nutrients and antioxidants. The gently stimulating herbs and spices combine with sweet, creamy, tart flavors to provide sustained energy in one small package. Herbalists recommend taking eleuthero on a regular basis to increase stamina and endurance and restore vitality deep within your core.
Herbal Energy Balls
Makes about 20 balls
- 1 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup almond butter or sesame tahini, raw or roasted
- ¾ cup dried cranberries, sweetened or unsweetened
- ½ cup raw honey
- 2 tablespoons eleuthero root powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Set aside ½ cup of the coconut in a shallow bowl for coating. Combine the remaining ½ cup coconut with the almond butter, cranberries, honey, eleuthero, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl and stir well to blend. I normally use my hands instead of a spoon to really knead the ingredients into a cohesive ball.
- Pinch off pieces of the dough and form them into balls about 1¼ inches in diameter. Rinse and dry your hands periodically if they get too sticky. Roll each ball in the reserved coconut to coat and set aside on waxed paper.
- For the best flavor and firmer consistency, let the balls chill in the refrigerator for 24 hours before eating. Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator and consume within 2 to 3 weeks, or store in the freezer for up to 3 months. They may be individually wrapped, using waxed paper or plastic wrap, and taken with you to enjoy as portable energy bites.