Start the new year on a nutritious note!
Author Stephanie Tourles recommends this superfood-packed smoothie recipe to boost your energy and keep your mind sharp.
She writes: “It’s also the perfect solution for those seeking an alternative to dairy-, soy-, and egg-based protein drinks. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!”
Carob Protein Smoothie
The dried, brown powder from the carob fruit pod is an often-overlooked ingredient, and that’s too bad because it adds an amazingly smooth, silky texture to shakes and smoothies, plus it’s deliciously sweet. Carob contains ample nutrients that beautify hair, skin, and nails, plus plenty of pectin, a beneficial fiber that promotes regularity. This smoothie delivers a balanced energy that will keep your engine running for quite some time, yet is calming to the nervous system. It makes a wonderful meal substitute for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Yield: 2 servings
- 1½ cups purified water
- 3 medium or 4 small bananas, peeled, cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons raw cashew, almond, or sunflower seed butter
- 2–4 tablespoons raw carob powder (use the greater amount for intense carob flavor)
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla flavoring
- Pinch of sea salt
- Put the water, bananas, nut or seed butter, carob, vanilla, and salt in a blender and purée until thick and smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Serve in glasses or insulated mugs. This blend is high in natural sugars, fats, and fiber, so sip very slowly and “chew” each sip, mixing well with your saliva so that it digests with ease. No gulping, please. Savor the rich, creamy carob goodness.
A good source of: vitamins B, C, and E, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, other trace minerals, healthy fat, protein, tryptophan, complex carbohydrates, natural sugars, and fiber