In the Backyard
A backyard bursting with life brings us joy. It is place to grow, to gather, to play, to work, to smile, to sweat, to relax, to love, to enjoy. A yard is defined as much by the care and effort put into it as it is by its geographical location. A backyard can be a home to chickens and goats, it can be a rest stop for migrating birds, it can produce food to put on the table, it can be a pleasure to the eye, it can be a retreat from the world, it can be a hangout for kids. Your backyard is anything you want it to be. Make it a place you love to be in!
Bee serious! We’re giving away $425 worth of bee books and beekeeping gear.
The benefits of keeping honey bees go far beyond producing your own delicious honey — bee products improve health and skincare, and neighborhood gardens yield more vegetables, fruits, and flowers. With a swarm of sweet reasons to keep bees, all you need is our expert information and some basic equipment and gear (courtesy of our friends at GloryBee) to become a backyard beekeeper. Enter today to win this golden pot of honey!
Enter the Giveaway!
Your entry is also a subscription to Storey’s excellent once-a-month email newsletter. (Of course, you can unsubscribe at any time and your name will not be sold or used for any other purposes.)
Free with Every Entry
An immediate download of the ebook edition of Easy-to-Build Adirondack Furniture.
The Grand Prize
- A Complete Bee Library (10 books): A Short History of the Honey Bee; Attracting Native Pollinators; Beekeeping; Bees, Wasps, and Ants; Build Your Own Beekeeping Equipment; Hive Management; Homegrown Honey Bees; The Honey Connoisseur; Keeping Bees in Towns and Cities; and Storey’s Guide to Keeping Honey Bees
- Beginner Beekeeping Kit: This kit from GloryBee® Foods includes the following: First Lessons in Beekeeping book, single story hive complete with top and bottom, frames, foundation, nails, instructions, standard hive tool, smoker, entrance reducer, plastic inside feeder, bee hat, veil, metal top, inner cover and leather gloves.
How to Enter
- To enter, submit your email above. We’ll sign you up to receive The Short Storey monthly newsletter, if you’re not already on our list.
- Entries must be received by 11:59 PM, Sunday, June 30, 2013.
- One winner will be chosen at random.
- The winner will be contacted by email on Monday, July 1, 2013, and announced on InsideStorey, Storey’s Facebook page, and Storey’s Twitter feed.
- The winner will have two weeks to respond and claim the prize. If the prize is not claimed by Monday, July 15, 2013, we will choose another winner at random.
- No purchase necessary.
- A mailing address will be required for delivery. We will not save, sell, or use this address for any other purpose.
Glorybee® Foods has generously donated to the beekeeping kit to the prize package. We appreciate their sponsorship and encourage you to visit their website and check out all their great beekeeping supplies.
This Month’s Fresh Picks!
Building a beautiful backyard can be easy, fun, and inexpensive. This month’s ebook selections — at $2.99 each — will inspire you with DIY projects and instruct you step-by-step to a yard your neighbors will admire and envy!
- Easy-to-Build Adirondack Furniture
- Kick back and relax in a classic Adirondack chair that you make yourself from these detailed plans and clearly written instructions. Designs include three chair variations, a footstool, and a table for complete patio or porch décor. Download your free copy of Easy-to-Build Adirondack Furniture by entering your email below!
Download this month’s Free Pick: Enter your email to receive an immediate download of the Easy-to-Build Adirondack Furniture. You’ll also be subscribed to Storey’s once-a-month email newsletter and enter this month’s Big Bee Book giveaway!
- The Vegetable Gardener’s Book of Building Projects
- These 39 simple-to-make projects — including cold frames, compost bins, planters, raised beds, potting benches, gates, trellises, storage containers, outdoor furniture, and more — will increase your harvest, make your garden chores easier, and turn your garden and yard into an appealing outdoor space for relaxing and enjoying the fruits of your labors. Many of the projects are ideal for beginners, and most can be completed in just a few hours.
- $17.95 in paperback. You save $14 on this pick!
- Woodworking FAQ
- Everything you need to know, whether you're a beginner planning your first project or an experienced crafter putting in cabinets or making furniture. This book is like having a master carpenter standing at your elbow to answer questions as they arise. With its comprehensive information, friendly question-and-answer format, and convenient lay-flat binding, Woodworking FAQ will be the most important tool in your workshop.
- $14.95 in paperback. You save $12 on this pick!
A note to readers outside of the United States: At the present time, your ability to purchase and download the titles featured in Storey’s Fresh Picks will vary depending upon your IP address and the given retailer. If you are having difficulties purchasing a discounted ebook, please try ebooks.com; if you are having problems downloading a free ebook, please write to us at email@example.com.