Storey is a leading publisher of how-to-books for country living, with a focus on gardening, cooking, crafts, building, and animals. We are located in the scenic Berkshires, on the campus of the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MASS MoCA), three hours from NYC and Boston.
To provide editorial and general support for the Editorial Production Manager, Publisher, and editorial department. The Editorial Assistant is detail-oriented and highly organized, with an eagle eye, solid language skills, a talent for lively writing, and the ability to juggle varied responsibilities in a deadline-driven environment. This is a full-time position.
- Perform quality control reviews for ebooks.
- Assist with editing and proofreading of marketing and sales materials, page proofs, printer proofs, and other materials.
- Assist the Editorial Production Manager with special projects.
- Assist acquisitions editors and project editors with editorial tasks as needed, including author correspondence, coordinating book production tasks, and checking corrections on page proofs.
- Provide support for the Publisher, including doing research, responding to inquiries, corresponding with authors, making travel arrangements, hiring freelancers, and helping with email and other correspondence.
- Screen and evaluate unsolicited book proposals.
- Write rejection letters.
- Assist with production of Storey’s digital publications, including the blog and monthly email newsletter.
- Write copy as needed for website, blog, marketing pieces, and other purposes.
- Assist with reader comments and complaints.
- Mail packages for editorial department.
- Serve as backup for the front desk and switchboard.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA or BS in relevant field
- Excellent editing and proofreading skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to represent Storey professionally to authors, freelancers, vendors, and others
- One year of editorial experience, preferably in book publishing
- Talent for and experience with writing strong marketing copy
- A passion for DIY topics; hands-on experience with and enthusiasm for any of Storey’s key subject areas, particularly knitting, sewing, crocheting, other crafts, and gardening.
- Experience with InDesign
- Experience with ebook production
- Cannot be color blind
Send letter of interest, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.orgApply for the Editorial Assistant position