Storey Publishing is a leading publisher of how-to-books for country living, with a focus on gardening, cooking, crafts, building, and animals.
We are located in the scenic Berkshires, adjacent to the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MASS MoCA). We are three hours from NYC and Boston.
Digital Features EditorBasic Function
What is the online voice of a modern book publisher speaking to today's energetic DIY audience? Storey Publishing, a leading source of how-to information for crafters, cooks, homesteaders, farmers, and other DIY enthusiasts, is seeking a person to develop our online presence through a content strategy perspective: fostering a consistent and coordinated public-facing image on our website and blog, newsletters, social media, and digital-first publishing initiatives.Essential Functions
- Develop Storey's digital content strategy and maintain its online voice across our public-facing communication: our website and blog, newsletters, social media, and digital-first publishing initiatives
- Work collaboratively with editors, authors, marketing and publicity staff, and other components of the Storey community to identify and create features stories and other engaging content for online publication
- Introduce online readers to Storey's vast library of creative content
- Work with the Digital, Publicity, and Marketing departments to promote and distribute this content (and other things our readers would love!)
- Act as a tireless advocate for our readers and a passionate advocate for the possibilities of online -- increasingly mobile -- technology
- Make online features excellent, valuable, and reader-friendly
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Passion for do-it-yourself topics including crafting, cooking, gardening, homesteading, and building
- Active involvement with a wide range of online DIY communities and creative ideas for engaging with these communities on Storey's behalf
- Ability to inspire and manage
- A collaborative mindset and ability to work with multiple departments
- Excellent organizational skills: both personal organization and the organization of information
- Involvement and interest in online communities
- Enthusiasm for the possibilities of contemporary publishing
- B.A. or B.S. in relevant field
- Experience with common web Content Management Systems like WordPress, Joomla, or Drupal
- Experience with writing and editing for magazines
- Experience with blogging
- Experience with consumer marketing and copywriting
- Experience with video storyboarding and script writing
- A comfortable working knowledge of HTML, CSS, and SCSS
- An active presence on social media networks
Vision and hearing must be acute enough for phone work and computer operations
Marketing DesignerBasic Function:
The Marketing Designer will work closely with the Marketing Art Director to develop Storey’s marketing materials. This position requires a great attitude and ability to work collaboratively with all departments at Storey. Strong organizational skills, excellent design skills, and an unflappable nature are the desired combination for this position. A keen interest in our published categories is a plus.
Design the following:
- printed pieces: specialty catalogs, backlist and order form for our seasonal catalog, coverstock, blads, posters, postcards, sellsheets, booklets, advertisements
- Point-of-purchase display: both floor and table-top
- Specialty promotional materials, such as bags, boxes, glasses, stickers
- Digital: advertisements (video editing and animation skills a plus)
- With Publicity to design posters, postcards, advertisements supporting authors and events
- With Sales to design sellsheets for different market needs
- With Editorial for content
- With Design for pages/photography/illustrations
- Develop 5 month schedule for catalog
- Track and monitor the progress of all catalog components
- Circulate page proofs, handle necessary corrections, and deliver electronic pre-press by established deadline.
- Work directly with printers: obtaining quotes, monitor printing and delivery of marketing materials
- Prepare purchase orders
- Source Vendors
- Create dummy books and other 3-D packaging (requires hands-on assembly skills, attention to detail, and use spray-mount)
- College degree. Graphic design major preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of work experience in graphic design, including initial concept generation, through presentations and preparation of electronic pre-press files.
- Focus on print-based design is required.
- Experience in a Macintosh environment and fluency in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop as well as a working knowledge of Illustrator, Microsoft Office: Word, Powerpoint and Excel.
- An interest in Storey’s publishing focus.
- Candidate should possess strong organizational, communication, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills. S/he must be able to prioritize while managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent vision and hearing, cannot be color blind.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
- link to a personal website featuring work.
- a digital PDF of sample work (no larger than 5mb).
- printed samples via mail (these will NOT be returned to you do not send originals).
Send your cover letter, resumé, salary requirements, and specified materials to:
- Marci Saunders
- Human Resources Department
- Storey Publishing, LLC
- 210 MASS MoCA Way
- North Adams, Massachusetts 01247
Resumes may be faxed to 413-346-2198 or emailed to email@example.com.
Please reference the job title in the subject line of your email. Read each job listing carefully for additional submission requirements. No phone calls please.
Storey Publishing, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer located in North Adams, Massachusetts.
All applications will be considered without regard to age, race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin.