Storey Publishing is a leading publisher of how-to-books for country living, with a focus on gardening, cooking, crafts, building, and animals.
We are located in the scenic Berkshires, adjacent to the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MASS MoCA). We are three hours from NYC and Boston.
Editorial Production ManagerBasic Function
To ensure strong editorial quality of all Storey books and other materials, print and electronic, by establishing and maintaining effective standards, procedures, documents, and other tools and serving as an expert and approachable resource and problem-solver for editors and other in-house staff. Manages final proofreads, approves final book files and printer proofs, and approves all marketing and publicity materials. Hires and manages a pool of freelance editors, copy editors, proofreaders, and indexers as well as in-house editorial staff.Essential Functions
- Quality Control
- Establish and maintain administrative procedures as needed for the smooth and efficient running of a professional creative office
- Establishes and maintains editing, copyediting, proofreading, and indexing standards, style standards, and relevant policies and procedures for all Storey books and other materials.
- Creates and maintains style sheets, assignment memos, guidelines, procedures, and process instructions for freelancers and in-house staff as needed and ensures that they are up-to-date, useful, and used consistently
- Manages the final proofread of every frontlist book: commissioning the proofread; instructing the proofreader; reviewing the completed proofread; working with in-house staff until pages are finalized; and giving feedback to the freelancer. Will occasionally perform this proofread instead of sending it out
- Reviews the final files of each frontlist book before they are sent to the printer
- Reviews the printer proofs of each frontlist book
- Reviews in-house circulations of frontlist books in development
- Copy edits and/or proofreads all marketing and publicity materials, including press releases, author bios, back cover copy, catalogs, blads, sell sheets, posters, and other materials
- Staff Advising and Management
- Supervises Associate Production Editor, Editorial Assistants, editorial department interns, and other editorial staff as needed
- Documents and responds to all freelance inquiries and adds qualified freelancers to the pool. Recruits appropriate freelancers as needed or when requested by editorial staff. Sets rates for freelancers in consultation with the Managing Editor
- Establishes procedures and works with editors to ensure that freelancers receive complete instructions. Assists with coordination of projects going to proofreaders and indexers
- Periodically evaluates and provides feedback to freelance copy editors, proofreaders, and indexers
- Works with Contracts Manager to maintain the in-house “job log” and ensure that feedback on each project is entered
- Serves as a resource for staff regarding editing standards, house style, use of editorial software, procedures, policies, and working with freelancers
- Technical Management
- Establishes and oversees electronic procedures for editorial staff and freelancers, working collaboratively with IT, design, and digital staff and others as needed. Trains users and provides trouble-shooting as needed
- Identifies and implements emerging technologies and systems that could streamline editorial processes and create greater efficiency and/or accuracy
- B.S. or B.A. in English, journalism, writing, or similar field, or the equivalent in experience
- Three or more years of experience as an editor or copy editor; experience with heavily illustrated and/or “how-to” books preferred
- Superlative copy editing and proofreading skills
- Thorough mastery of English grammar, usage, spelling, and punctuation
- Thorough knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong management, supervisory, and training skills and the ability to work well as part of a team
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent computer skills, including facility with MS Word, Excel, and InDesign, and interest in technical developments in electronic editing and production
- Flexibility and the ability to manage conflicting priorities for self and others
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Strong attention to detail
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds
- Cannot be color blind
- Vision and hearing must be acute enough for phone work and computer operations
Send your cover letter, resumé, salary requirements, and specified materials to:
- Marci Saunders
- Human Resources Department
- Storey Publishing, LLC
- 210 MASS MoCA Way
- North Adams, Massachusetts 01247
Resumes may be faxed to 413-346-2198 or emailed to email@example.com.
Please reference the job title in the subject line of your email. Read each job listing carefully for additional submission requirements. No phone calls please.
Storey Publishing, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer located in North Adams, Massachusetts.
All applications will be considered without regard to age, race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin.