Storey Publishing is a leading publisher of how-to-books for country living, with a focus on gardening, cooking, crafts, building, and animals.
We are located in the scenic Berkshires, adjacent to the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MASS MoCA). We are three hours from NYC and Boston.
Senior EditorPurpose of the Position
Serves as book project leader for approximately 8 to 12 books per year. Responsible for editing books to a high degree of quality (including quality of text, design, photos, and illustrations, as well as organization, style, content, grammar, usage, spelling, and punctuation), on schedule and on budget. Participates in acquisitions meetings and works on acquiring selected new titles, as assigned. Works under the supervision of the Publisher, who reviews and approves the work of the Senior Editor.Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Monitors book budgets and schedules and works with other team members to keep within budget and on schedule.
- Acts as key liaison with authors, freelancers, art director, and other departments (sales, design, marketing), on assigned titles.
- Substantive Editing
- Completes substantive editing of assigned books (includes editing the manuscript for content, organization, style, and tone; coding manuscript; and querying author as necessary). Ensures that manuscript content and focus matches the positioning and vision of the Publisher and sales team.
- Resolves all substantive queries with author and incorporates needed changes into the manuscript. Rewrites sections of text, as needed and appropriate (with sensitivity to the author's preferences).
- Hires expert reviewer, as needed.
- Selects appropriate text for sample page designs and provides guidance for art director on key elements of the text.
- Creates style sheet for each book.
- Instructs copyeditor regarding level of copyedit needed and any special concerns.
- Reviews copyediting, makes necessary corrections, and provides feedback to freelancer.
- Ensures author responds to all queries; finalizes copyedited manuscript and prepares it for design, working with associate production editor to ensure that style coding is accurate and matches sample page designs.
- Illustrations and Photography
- Works closely with author to create illustration and photography lists (in Excel), taking into account the editorial and art vision for the book, while working within the book budget.
- Ensures that adequate reference material provided for all needed illustrations.
- Ensures that author supplies captions for each proposed illustration and edits captions. Writes captions as necessary.
- Coordinates author review of rough illustrations, working closely with illustration coordinator, and ensures that feedback in clear for needed revisions.
- Directs photo editor in acquiring any needed stock photography.
- Suggests props and styling for photo shoots and assists in acquiring props as needed.
- Attends photo shoot, as needed, to ensure accuracy, quality, and correct content of photos.
- Reviews and selects photos for accuracy, content, and quality.
- Page Proofs
- After transmittal of manuscript to design, reviews first page proofs to ensure text and illustrative material relate appropriately--proximity of art to related text, etc.--and that layout is pleasing. Responds to comments and suggestions from Publisher and other staff and incorporates needed changes into page proofs.
- Instructs author, proofreader, and indexer regarding responsibilities and expectations on second and third page proofs.
- Incorporates author comments, proofreader comments, and in-house comments on a master set of pages, ensuring all is clear before pages are handed off to design.
- Reviews and copyedits index manuscript, providing necessary feedback to indexer and adding comments to freelance job log.
- Works closely with Publisher, President, and Acquisitions Editors to identify promising new book ideas. Develops proposals and seeks authors on select projects, as assigned by Publisher.
- On selected projects, works closely with contracted authors during the writing process to guide manuscript development.
- Edits, copyedits, proofreads, and approves cover copy, catalog copy, press releases as needed.
- Maintains files for assigned books.
- Commissions foreword writers.
- Assists Publisher and Marketing Director with positioning of books and gathering and selecting selections from books for sales and marketing presentations and publications.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- B.S. or B.A. in English, journalism, writing, or similar field, or the equivalent in experience.
Necessary Experience or Special Skills:
- Minimum of five years of experience in book editorial work on illustrated, how-to books. Knowledge of knitting, sewing, woodworking, and gardening strongly preferred. Superior writing and editing skills. Mastery of English grammar, usage, spelling, and punctuation. Thorough knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style and book publishing processes and procedures (from idea to bound book), including scheduling, budgeting, and electronic production. Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment; compulsion for detail. Excellent communication skills, flexibility, and cooperative, professional demeanor. Excellent typing skills and fluency in MSWord and Excel.
- Must be able to travel to trade shows, conferences, seminars, photo shoots, and so forth as required.
- Must present a professional demeanor.
Schedule of hours:
- The Senior Editor typically works 37.5 hours per week and additional hours as necessary to complete tasks.
Reports to: Publisher.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and education.
Send your cover letter, resumé, salary requirements, and specified materials to:
- Marci Saunders
- Human Resources Department
- Storey Publishing, LLC
- 210 MASS MoCA Way
- North Adams, Massachusetts 01247
Resumes may be faxed to 413-346-2198 or emailed to email@example.com.
Please reference the job title in the subject line of your email. Read each job listing carefully for additional submission requirements. No phone calls please.
Storey Publishing, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer located in North Adams, Massachusetts.
All applications will be considered without regard to age, race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin.