Storey is a leading publisher of how-to books for creative self-reliance, with a focus on gardening, cooking, crafts, building, and animals. We are located in the scenic Berkshires, on the campus of the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MASS MoCA), three hours from NYC and Boston.
Production and Art Coordinator
Supervisor: Production Manager – Design
FSLA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Class: Part-Time
Work Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM
Location: North Adams, MA
Using InDesign (and occasionally legacy file formats), the Production and Art Coordinator makes corrections and minor additions or adjustments to reprints of Storey’s books; prepares print-ready files; and manages the archive of reprint files. This position is also responsible for coordinating file deliveries to other publishers who have purchased rights to our books, in-house staff that need to repurpose files, or other partners with approved access. An additional, key responsibility is managing photo deliveries, so hi-res files are properly named and organized and lo-res copies are processed for use in design layouts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Make corrections and minor updates to backlist books.
- Prepare and deliver print-ready files.
- Communicate closely with the production manager responsible for reprints and strictly follow established procedural protocols.
International, Premium, and Co-Editions
- Coordinate and prepare files for delivery to international clients publishing foreign-language editions of Storey books.
- Coordinate and prepare files for co-editions, premium, and custom sales.
- Communicate closely with the manager responsible for these sales to understand the client’s needs and timeline.
- Locate and deliver files from archived books to in-house staff or publishing partners as needed.
- Organize and maintain an archive of reprint corrections.
- Organize deliveries of high-resolution art from commissioned photographers, stock agencies, and other sources, strictly following established protocols.
- Create and deliver timely low-resolution copies of photos for use in page layout.
- Coordinating files for print-on-demand books.
- Organizing proofs for use as reference on press.
- Assisting with the manufacture of sales dummies.
- Taking the initiative to assume responsibility for additional duties as required.
- Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Mac OS.
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop.
- Above-average attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Process-oriented and methodical.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to communicate, collaborate, and problem-solve effectively with a variety of people.
- Ability to represent Storey professionally to external parties, including custom clients, printers, and other vendors.
- Must have close visual acuity to perform activities such as viewing a computer terminal and visually inspecting fine design elements.
- Cannot be color blind.
- Must be able to sit or stand in one location for extended periods of time.
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com
Storey Publishing, a publisher of in-depth nonfiction books promoting creative self-reliance for adults and children, seeks a senior editor.
As a key member of the editorial department, the senior editor will be responsible for managing all aspects of development for 6 to 8 books annually, including: author communication, substantive editing, hiring and directing freelance copyeditors and indexers; creating photography and illustration lists; and working closely with the art director through all stages of book design and layout to ensure the design supports and amplifies the editorial content and market positioning. In addition, the senior editor will attend weekly acquisitions meetings and support the efforts of the acquisitions editors in researching and developing ideas, identifying potential authors, evaluating proposals, and articulating strong positioning statements for sales and marketing purposes.
This position requires: superior writing and editing skills; 4-6 years of editorial experience (preferably in highly illustrated how-to books); excellent communication and negotiation skills; thorough knowledge of electronic book manuscript production; experience in acquisitions and creative idea development highly desirable; enthusiasm for Storey’s mission and subject areas essential. Storey is a highly collaborative company and this is a full-time, on-site position requiring presence in the Storey offices in North Adams five days a week (telecommuting is not an option).
To apply: send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org