Kids and chickens can agree on this: Jell-O’s fun to eat.
Kids love Jell-O, and it turns out, chickens feel the same way. This wiggly gelatin treat is not only a great boredom buster for chickens, but a fun way to get kids involved in caring for your family’s flock. Let them load it up with all the goodies your backyard birds love and see how your chickens respond. There’s entertainment for everyone!
Jell-O Summer Party Treat
Who doesn’t love Jell-O on a summer day? Well, chickens are no exception. They’ll gobble up this easy-to-make treat filled with protein and goodies that you add just for them. Have fun experimenting to see what your flock likes best!
- 4 packets unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup apple juice
- 1 cup cold water
- 2½ cups boiling water
- Chopped hard-boiled eggs
- Cracked corn
- Dried mealworms
- Fruit and vegetable peels
- Sunflower seeds
- Spread the mix-ins into a square cake pan (a silicone one releases the mixture easily).
- Combine the gelatin, apple juice, and cold water in a bowl.
- Carefully add the boiling water. Stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Pour the liquid over the mix-ins and mix well.
- Put the dish in the refrigerator to set for 3 hours.
- Cut into pieces before serving to your flock.
Recipe excerpted from A Kid’s Guide to Keeping Chickens © 2015 by Melissa Caughey. All rights reserved.