The mission of Storey Publishing is to serve our customers by publishing practical information that encourages personal independence in harmony with the environment. We seek to do this in a positive atmosphere that promotes editorial quality, team spirit, and profitability.
The books we select to carry out this mission include titles on gardening, small-scale farming, building, cooking, homebrewing, crafts, part-time business, home improvement, woodworking, animals, nature, natural living, personal care, and country living.
We are always pleased to review new proposals, which we try to process expeditiously. We offer both work-for-hire and standard royalty contracts.
If you have ideas for a book on any of the subjects in our line and if you are intrigued by the philosophy expressed in our mission statement, we hope you will think of Storey Publishing.
Please include the following information:
- A letter of introduction.
- A one-paragraph description of your book idea. What is the “hook” for your book? Why is it unique? Examples: “Finally, a natural health-oriented body care and personal grooming book focused on the particular needs and interests of men” (Body Care Just for Men); “Hands-on birding: How you can attract wild birds to come and feed right from your hand.” (Hand-Feeding Backyard Birds).
- A brief statement explaining why you think your book is needed and describing the potential readers of the book. Answer the question, “Who will buy this book and why?”
- A list of recent books (if any) that are similar to your own, with an explanation of how yours will be different and better. Give the competition for your book by listing books published within the last three years. Include title, author, page count, retail price, publisher, and description.
- A paragraph about yourself and your credentials for writing the book you are proposing (you may also wish to include your resumé).
- A table of contents, including a brief description of each chapter.
- Some of your thoughts about the length, general appearance, and photographic and illustrative requirements of the book.
- A sample of your writing from previous books or magazines.
- A sample chapter from the proposed book.
Address your proposal to one of the acquiring editors listed below and send to:
- Storey Publishing, LLC
- 210 MASS MoCA Way
- North Adams, Massachusetts 01247
- (Enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope if you would like your materials returned.)
- Deborah Balmuth: Building and mind/body/spirit.
- Deborah Burns: Equine, animals, nature.
- Gwen Steege: Crafts.
- Carleen Madigan: Gardening.
- Margaret Sutherland: Cooking, wine, and beer.